Sicilian province of Ragusa to people who have never visited it, it is like
to tell a plot of a book to those who have not read it yet.
will make you to leaf through the most typical and charming pages of the
Camilleri, the author of the Inspector Salvo Montalbano(Luca
Zingaretti), staged his stories in an imaginary world, the fruit of the
union of the most important corners of places like Porte Empedocle, Sciacca,
Menfi and other cities of the zone.
Points of the literary work(Vigata, Marinella, Montelusa,
by director Alberto Sironi and by designer Luciano Ricceri largely in the
province of Ragusa. Other scenes were also in San Vito Lo Capo(TP),
Tindari(ME), Favignana and Syracuse.
The majority of the sites linked to the set of the TV series Inspector
Montalbano is located in the province of Ragusa, although the descriptions
of the places in fiction narrated by Andrea Camilleri are those related to
as they were in its infancy, in the province of Agrigento.
For example, the Fiacca is Sciacca, Fela is Gela, Vigata(in the
province of Montelusa namely Agrigento) is
actually Porto Empedocle, and recalls the sound Licata birthplace of Andrea
Places now become too different from the illustrations in the books, and
therefore it was decided to shoot the film elsewhere.
Ragusa, Scicli , Modica, Comiso , Vittoria, Ispica and Santa Croce are the
municipalities that, along with many private residences, enriched, with
their undeniable architectural beauty, the scenery of the episodes of the
hit television series, which is a mix of colors, tastes and traditions
typical of Sicily.
A destination not to be missed
for fans of the series is
the fishing village, of Arab origin Punta Secca("Ain Keseb" is the ancient
Arabic name of Punta Secca), where is the Commissioner of Marinella’s house
, in a cottage in the square adjacent to the famous beach.
The village is characterized by the presence of the lighthouse built
by the Navy in 1853, 34 meters high, the ancient local fish for the season,
the warehouses, the church and the tower of Scalambri(XVI cent.).
Dedicated to Our Lady Portosalvo are the harbour and the pretty little church
Along the scenic coastal road in the direction of Donnalucata(Marinella)
you come near Sampieri: on the cliff of Pisciotto, just east
of Sampieri is the
Fornace Mormino Penna,
or la Mànnara,
in an isolated
at all, as it Montalbano said.
In fiction is referred to as the trap, it was actually a furnace that
produced tiles and bricks.
Continuing, in the seaside village of Donnalucata(Marinella) you can
stroll on the beautiful seafront scenery of the Vigata’s seafront.
This gem is inserted into the UNESCO World Heritage Site .
In the main square were filmed
several scenes where there is
also the Mother Church of
Vigata(Duomo di San Giorgio).
If you're a fan
of Montalbano, be sure to try the
"Trattoria da Calogero", or
La Rusticana, where Salvo
Montalbano and Mimi
Augello habitually consume
their favorite meals.
The beautiful and ancient Baroque town of Scicli is a World Heritage Site:
have followed the Greeks , Carthaginians, Romans, Byzantines, Barbarians,
Saracens, Normans, Swabians, Aragonese….
Among the many buildings will recognize the exterior of Police Station of
Vigata, or the Town Hall in Italy Square, and the
Police Headquarters Montelusa or
Palazzo Iacono in Mormino Penna road.
Many of the scenes representing Vigata are also held in Modica, for
example the staircase that leads to the house of the coroner; the house of
the journalist, Polara Palace, the mutual aid societies, the church of St.
Peter, the palace of the studies are envisioned where the local power of
attorney and the prosecutor's room .
Donnafugata Castle, rebuilt and embellished in the nineteenth century
by baron Corrado Arezzo de Spuches.
The building, formerly the movie set of "Il Gattopardo" by Ludovico
Visconti, was Montalbano’s set, as home of boss Balduccio Sinagra.
"well close to the sea" because in the past there were some fresh
water wells used by the ships passing through.
overlooks a wide cove extending from Punta Raganzino to Contrada
Marza through beaches, dunes and small promontories.
presence of human settlements goes back to far ages: actually, cemeteries
and ruins – found by the archaeologist Paolo Orsi, coins of the Roman age
and further finds of the Byzantine age have been found.
historical importance is relatively recent and dates back to the 14th
century, age in which the Chiaramontes’ family of the county of Modica
built a loader to transport goods by sea.
1429, because of the constant attacks of piracy to wheat and agriproducts
supplies, both a tower in defence of the loader and new warehouses were
built under the control of the Count Giovanni Bernardo Cabrera.
Little by little, the original hamlet around the tower is moved in a
farmhouse: the church consecrated to S. Maria of Portosalvo was built
in 1746 and only in 1829 Pozzallo became a self-governing town.
Nowadays, the Cabrera tower is both a very important national
monument from a historical point of view and the town’s coat of arms and
the only seaside town of the province of Ragusa: it spreads 2 km out
over the Mediterranean sea and it pleases its inhabitants and tourists with
two big beaches with thin and gilt sand.
beach called Raganzino, placed in the homonymous district, is ideal
for those who love quiet places and it is equipped with bathing
establishments, bars, showers and various services. Moreover, it is possible
to admire the characteristic Di Martino Castle which dominates this
beach called Pietrenere is provided with a wide car-parking, a cycle
track, some bathing establishments, discopubs, ice-cream parlours, bars,
cafeterias and a playing area.
the 2002 Pozzallo has been receiving the Bandiera Blu, a prize
which is only awarded to the cleanest and the most equipped beaches in
Trips with the island of Malta are particularly well organized: it is also
possible to reach the Cavalieri island with a catamaran within an
hour and an half.
In the summer time, beach volley and soccer matches, lessons of
Latin-American dances and spin bike are also organized.
The Cabrera tower is both a very important national monument from a
historical point of view and the town’s coat of arms and symbol.
also possible to visit Piazza Rimembranza, the Palazzo Musso,
the Palazzo Pandolfi and the Villa Tedeschi.
main street of the town it is possible to visit the Palazzo di Città
which is surrounded by a beautiful park. In front of it, there is the Mother
Church consecrated to the Our Lady of the Rosary.
La Pira (1904-1977), "holy mayor" of the city of Florence, has been a
distinguished figure of the history of the town.
At 32 km away from Pozzallo, Ragusa is placed between two
valleys and has been declared UNESCO world heritage.
town is divided into two distinct cores, the modern town of Ragusa
and Ragusa Ibla.
possible to visit the cathedral consecrated to Saint John the Baptist with
its majestic baroque portal and its stuccoes.
Archaeological Ibleo Museum, where various finds, ceramics and earthenware
statues (found through some excavations in the area around the city) are
exhibited, is divided into several sections: prehistory, Kamarina, Sicilian
culture, Hellenistic age, Roman and Byzantine age.
Rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693, the baroque Church of Our Lady of the
Stairs still preserves the portal and the pulpit of the medieval bell tower
and it rises on the top of 340 steps which join the town to Ibla.
rich in medieval and baroque works of art, it is possible to admire the
cathedral of Saint George which rises in Piazza Duomo on the ruins of the
ancient church consecrated to Saint Nicholas – elegantly surrounded by
baroque buildings – where the human remains of the Count Cabrera (Count of
the town of Ragusa) are guarded.
Furthermore, it is also possible to visit: the portal of Saint George, the
Church of Our Lady of the Stairs, the Church of the Purgatory, the
Palazzo Nicastro, the Church of the Idria, the Palazzo Cosentini,
the Circolo of Conversazione, the Donnafugata castle and the
Church of Saint Joseph.
Finally, it is really worth to visit the
evocative Ibleo park which includes the Churches Of The Old Capuchins
and Saint James.
At 20 km away from Pozzallo, Modica has known as the
“one hundred churches” town. It is in a wide quarry which divides it in high
Modica and low Modica and
has been declared UNESCO world heritage for its priceless baroque beauties.
the most important town in Sicily – in the past, it was defined Rome’s
granary – as capital of the county which corresponded mostly to the present
province of Ragusa.
In order to
appreciate deeply this lovely town rich in baroque beauties, it is necessary
to visit it by foot.
Modica, ancient small streets and steps cross each other and it is
possible to taste the famous chocolate which is still nowadays produce
according to the ancient Aztec recipe.
most important sights which is possible to see in this Baroque town are: the
cathedral of Saint George which overlooks the high part of the town with its
majestic 254 steps and the Church of Saint Peter, placed in the low town and
decorated with the statues of the twelve apostles.
the Palace of the Mercedari, the Church of Our Lady of
Bethlehem, the rock Church of Saint Nicolas, the museum of popular arts and
traditions and the Counts’ castle are very important from a historical point
Furthermore, it is possible to visit the native house of the poet
Salvatore Quasimodo, awarded with the Nobel prize for literature.
the city of
60 km from Pozzallo, rich in culture, embodies the past and present in more
than three thousand years of history.
In the historic district of Ortigia island linked to the mainland by bridge
Umberto I, to visit the Temple of Apollo, the Fountain of Arethusa, where
the original papyrus, Castello Maniace and Piazza Duomo with baroque palaces
where there is the main York Minster, the cathedral of Saint Lucia.
This is a Christian cathedral built on greek temple where even today in its
side wall you can see the Doric columns of the ancient Temple of Minerva.
Also in the Piazza Duomo is not to miss Vermexio Palace(City Hall), the
Archbishop's Palace, the Borgia Casale and the Church of St. Lucia to the
Abbey where inside is still guarded the Caravaggio painting "The Burial of
On hot summer days, coming to Largo Porta Marina, a structure of the Spanish
era you can take advantage of a boat tour around the island of Ortigia.
In the upper part of the city you can admire the Archaeological Park where
we find inside the Greek Theatre that is used for shows and plays, the Altar
of Hieron, the Roman Amphitheatre Latomia of Paradise, and the Rope Makers
Cave the Ear of Dionysius. Hence the Tyrant of Syracuse could, thanks to the
acoustics of the cave, to feel when the prisoners were plotting against him.
In the nearby area are the Archaeological Museum "Paolo Orsi" one of the
most important in Europe, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Tears and the caves
of the Capuchins.
At 20 km away from Pozzallo, Noto is defined "the stone
town, rich in art and culture, has also known as the "Baroque capital" and
has been declared UNESCO world heritage for its enormous historical-artistic
and natural heritage which charms the tourist visiting it.
The most important sights to see are: the cathedral – finished in 1776 and
consecrated to Saint Nicholas – which has, at the end of a three flights
stairs, a wide façade delimited by two bell towers. On the second floor, it
is also possible to see both the ruins of the dome, unfortunately collapsed
in 1996, and a wide part of the nave.
sides of the cathedral, it is possible to admire the Palazzo Vescovile
and the Palazzo Landolina of Saint Alfano. It is also worth to visit:
the Palazzo Nicolaci where the prince Villadorata lived, the
Palazzo Ducezio which is the town hall, the Civic Museum, the Church of
Saint Francis, Palazzo Frigoria, the Church of Saint Charles, the
Church of Saint Dominic, the Church of the Most Holy Crucifix.
Every year, during the third Sunday of the month of May, it is possible to
admire the "Infiorata": in this occasion, the Corrado Nicolaci
street is covered with a floral carpet.
Nowadays, the “Infiorata” is considered one of the most beautiful
shows of the whole island.
For those who love the nature, the
natural reserve of Vendicari or
also known as "the oasis or fauna of Vendicari", is a real oasis of
peace and calm which extends on a surface of around 1512 hectares. The
particular climatic conditions of the oasis make it an area favourite by a
lot of different kinds of migratory birds.
a narrow strip of earth along the stretch of coast extending from Noto
to Pachino, the reserve of Vendicari is considered "the hotel
of the birds" (over 500 different species of birds): it is a place where
birds can feed and have a rest.
most numerous presences are recorded during the month of December, but also
in autumn and spring.
reserve, it is also possible to admire some gorgeous landscapes such as: the
set of the 15th century castle and its tower, defined Swabian for
the typology of its base structure, the houses of fishermen, the salines,
the establishments where the fish is treated and the 18th century
“tonnara” with its smoke-stack.
40 Km away from Pozzallo,
Donnafugata castle was built by the Baron Corrado Arezzo on a 13th
century old tower in 1800.
origin of the name “Donnafugata” is regional: actually, the dialect
name "Ronnafugata" means “woman escaped”.
The history tells about a titled woman, the Queen Bianca of Navarra,
imprisoned by the perfidious Count Bernardo Cabrera in this castle. Luckily,
the queen succeeded to escape through the lands surrounding the castle.
The castle holds an area of around 2500 square metres and there are around
122 decorated and furnished rooms in it. It is worth to visit all of them
but some of the rooms are closed to the public because they have to be
hall of the coats of arms, the room of the mirrors and the hall of the music
The vast garden with many Mediterranean and exotic plants hides a small
circular temple, the "Pirdituri" – that is, a stone labyrinth – and
the neoclassic "Coffee House" where the nobles were used to consume
The producer Luchino Visconti set the movie
20 Km away from Pozzallo,
has a huge value artistic property, characterized by a mixture of various
stylistic elements including the classicism, the late Baroque, the rococo
and the eclecticism.
The reason why Scicli has been declared UNESCO world heritage is for
its wonderful and charming F. Mormino Penna street through which it
is possible to reach the town hall and the gorgeous patrician residences.
the famous “ Il Commissario Montalbano” fiction has been set. This
character has been created by the writer Camilleri and during the
realisation of the fiction some buildings in the town have been used for the
set: actually, in the fiction, the town hall is the Police Station of
Licata, the Palazzo Iacono is the Police Headquarters of Montelusa,
the Fornace Of the Pisciotto in Sampieri is the Mannara
and finally the Donnalucata promenade is the beach of Licata.
Other sights of remarkable importance are: the church of Saint John the
Evangelist, jewel of theSicilian baroque art, the church of Saint
Bartholomew, the Palazzo Fava, the church of Carmine, the Palazzo
Beneventano and the church of Our Lady La Nova.
At 10 Km away from Pozzallo, Ispica, town rich in art and history,
called Spaccaforno in ancient times, has an unusual cultural and
natural property characterized by the archaeological area of quarry of
Ispica and the archaeological Forza park.
Ispica, there are some important late-Baroque and Liberty artistic
beauties such as: the Palazzo Bruno of Belmonte which is the town
hall nowadays, recognised as the most prestigious Liberty building in the
province of Ragusa, the basilica of Our Major Lady, the sanctuary of
Our Lady of the Carmelo, the church of Saint Bartholomew and the church of
Our Lady of the Annunciation.